Troitsky Antonievo-Siysky Monastery
In the North of Russia there are still placeswhich time is not powerful, where it slows down its run. One of them is in the Arkhangelsk region, where in the wrong light of white nights the Holy Trinity Antonievo-Sii Monastery is raised to the sky with golden crosses - a witness and participant of many events of our history. For more than four centuries, it has been one of the main Orthodox shrines in our country, and many of its walls can be told. You just need to be able to listen.
The begotten boy
It is known that in the sixties of the fifteenth centuryGreat Novgorod moved to the village of Kekhta Dvinskaya volost pious family of a well-to-do peasant named Nikifor. Hardworking was a man, that's why he did not transfer wealth in the house. And only one misfortune overshadowed the life of the migrant - the Lord did not bless his wife Agatha with charity. Oh, how many years have passed since the three times rounded up their rural pop around the analogue, having done that great mystery of marriage, and not heard in his hut children's voices.
In those years of infertility knew only one remedy- was an unhappy woman in the church, fell prostrate in front of a dark icon image and tearfully prayed to the Queen of Heaven about sending her a long-awaited child. Not once has visited a pilgrimage and Agafia. She bowed her earthly bows and put on pood candles-she did not translate a penny in her husband's moschnya. And she begged for happiness - the Mother of God blessed her son, who was called Andrew at the holy baptism.
It has long been noticed in the people that such here,begotten from God, children are full of reason and virtue. And the boy Andrey in the seventh year comprehended the letter and took over from the parish priest the skill of icon painting. So he grew up, serving in the temple of God and helping his parents to lead their extensive farming, until the Lord called them.
Andrew by that time had already grown up, and it was himtwenty-five years, when he thought it was good to leave his father's house and go to Veliky Novgorod, where his deceased parents came from. He found a job there quickly - a strong and accommodating young man took to his service a local boyar and before he took his soul to him, that in the fifth year he gave his daughter for him. But, to know, there was not a Will of God for it - a year later a young wife, and then her father, died.
Burying his dead and close to him, andAndrei thought and understood with his mind that it was not his destiny to live in peace, among sin and temptations, but should devote himself to God, shutting himself in one of the holy monasteries, with which the Russian land is so plentiful. Praying and blessing at the same priest who married him a year ago with a boyar daughter, he forever left Novgorod Novgorod, but he directed his feet not to the Dvina parish where his father's deserted house was still, but to the holy monastery built on the Ken River, near the town of Kargopol.
Here, in the walls of the ancient monastery, Andrei beganascent to the crown of holiness, having tonsured a monk with the name Anthony. He spent a year in the gigantic monastic labors - he cut down ancient pines, uprooted stumps, clearing a place for the garden, and then worked in it, earning food for the brethren.
But most of all he had to take care of his heart.sick and poor, for whom a shelter was created in the monastery. Anthony spent the nights in prayers for the salvation of the souls of all Orthodox Christians. Soon his spiritual father, Rev. Pachomius Kesky, ordained him to the priesthood, and then blessed him with the ascetic feat, which Anthony had long spoken to.
On the way to the holy place
Anthony left the inhabited walls of the monastery is not oneand with two comrades, as well as he who sought prayer privacy. Having prayed, they retired to the impassable forest jungle, which approached the monastery with a wall. Initially, for their wilderness monks chose a quiet place on the banks of the Yemtsa, cut down their cells and even built a wooden church in honor of St. Nicholas. But he podgadil them the enemy of the human race - he embittered against them the hearts of local residents, who decided that the monks want to take possession of their land. The monks had to leave their place and continue their wanderings through deaf thickets. It should be noted that by that time their number had been added by three more hermit pilgrims.
But the Lord did not leave them, sent on the way of someA fisherman named Samuel. It was he who prompted the wanderers to a place on Lake Mikhailov, where no one ever lived, but from whence came the ringing of the bell and the singing of the angel. And it was not too far before him - only three days' journey, by Russian standards - very near.
An ancient legend says that, having come to that place,Said by Samuel, the monks grasped in their hearts that it is holy, and to be here the abode, which is destined to survive the centuries. And they put a cross on a deserted cape of the forest Mikhailovsky Lake, bleeding fresh pine resin in the sun, thus marking the place of the future monastery.
First difficult steps
The future abode will receive its name from the river.This, arising from the Mikhailovsky Lake, and which is the right tributary of the Dvina. She, like the lake itself, was rich in fish, and the forest jungle around was a beast, but for life this was not enough, and the brethren had to cut down the forest and plow the land. And what to plow? There are no horses. So the people of God were harnessed by turns into a makeshift plow, straining and falling on fresh furrows.
It is known for certain that Antonievo-Siyskythe monastery rose in very difficult conditions. There were even moments when the monks, exhausted from their strength, were about to leave a new place, and only the word and the prayer of their spiritual mentor Anthony helped the fainthearted to defeat the minute weakness. But with God's help, they finally settled in, and built the first wooden church in the name of the Life-giving Trinity. Its main property was the icon of the Holy Trinity, written by Anthony himself, who had succeeded in icon painting from an early age.
For many centuries TroitskyAntonyevo-Siya monastery was famous throughout the country for this shrine. Through the prayers of the pilgrims before her, miracles of healing took place. Everything was finally convinced of the grace of the image, when once a lightning struck the church, and after a fire that destroyed the entire inside of the building, an icon was removed from the pile of ashes completely untouched by fire.
Grand ducal deed
Own official status Holy TrinityThe monastery of St. Anthony-Siya received in 1552, when its rector, the future saint Reverend Anthony, sent two monks to Moscow, Grand Prince Vasily III, asking for the establishment of a monastery. The pious ruler favored their request and sent with them not only the Letter of Commendation, but also generous gifts to commemorate his own soul.
Blissful demise and canonization
Rev. Anthony lived to seventy nineyears, thirty-seven of which he spent in the monastery he had created, only occasionally leaving her for a short retreat caused by the need for prayer solitude. When, before his death, he was asked where he wanted to be buried, the ascetic ordered (as a matter of fact!) To take his body to the forest and leave it to be torn apart by beasts and birds, so that they would remember it before God. Only tearful pleas of the brethren persuaded him to abandon his decision.
He departed to the Lord on December 20, 1556, duringthe reign of the sovereign John IV the Terrible, and the Antoniyev-Siya monastery continued its life under the new abbot, the elder Cyril, indicated by Anthony in the testament. He himself for pious life and many miracles in 1579 was canonized.
Holy Trinity Cathedral
His memory is celebrated by the Orthodox Church. 20December, and on this day, the Antoniyev-Siya Monastery, the photo of which can be seen in this article, is filled with hundreds of pilgrims coming from different cities of the country to honor his memory and worship the holy relics that are now buried under the bosom of the Holy Trinity Cathedral, erected after the death of the saint.
Bookmark this five-domed temple wasaccomplished in 1589 by the highest permission of the then sovereign Fedor Ivanovich (son of Ivan the Terrible) who reigned then. In his letter sent to the monastery, he ordered to build it on the model of the Resurrection Cathedral of the Moscow Novodevichy Monastery and even sent an experienced master Zakhar to help the builders. All work carried out by the Vologda artel of bricklayers was completed in 1606, and the temple was soon consecrated.
Monastery - a witness of history
In the XVI-XVII centuries Antoniyevo-Siya monasterytakes the place of one of the leading spiritual centers of the North of Russia, and it has an important place in its history. It is known that the disgraced boyar Fyodor Nikitich Romanov, father of the future tsar and founder of the Romanov dynasty, Mikhail Fedorovich, served a five-year exile in these walls. It was here that, by the will of the then reigning Boris Godunov, the boyar took monastic tonsure with the name Philaret.
Years will pass, and, returning from Polish captivity,he will become the Patriarch of Moscow of All Russia. Then Philaret will not forget the sympathetic hegumen, Jonah, who has tried to alleviate his fate, and, having ascended to the patriarchal throne, will thank him with generous gifts. The monastery walls remember and still very young Mikhail Lomonosov, who stopped here on his way to Moscow.
Royal patrons of the monastery
From the first days of its history Antonievo-Siythe monastery enjoyed the same location of the supreme rulers of Russia. The beginning of this was laid by the Grand Duke Vasily III, as mentioned above, who sent his gifts along with the Lettered Charter. His son Ivan the Terrible was also a generous contributor, but a bit different. He handed to the monastery a long list of boyars executed by him and put a thousand rubles on him to mention their souls - such was the sovereign sovereign.
King Fedor, who ascended him to the throne, did nothe only financed the construction of the Trinity Cathedral, but also granted him a Stasside-ten-pooped bell. Nor was Boris Godunov stinging a monastery of five hundred rubles and many expensive church utensils. The brethren diligently commemorated all donators in prayers and made entries in the special “Feed Book”.
With time, Holy Trinity Antoniyevo-Siyskythe monastery entered into such a force that it not only enjoyed the generosity of the reigning persons, but also itself provided them with material assistance more than once. So, for example, sovereign Mikhail Fedorovich covered the costs of the war with Sweden from the funds provided to him by the monastic treasury, and his father, Alexei Mikhailovich, took loans to rearm the army.
A big role was played by the pilgrimage toAnthony-Siya man’s monastery of the reigning persons. Russian autocrats more than once visited the ancient walls, which preserved the memory of their ancestors. For example, in the summer of 1819, Emperor Alexander I honored them with his visit, and in 1856 his nephew Alexander II. Frequent guests were the grand dukes. For the reception of distinguished guests, there was even a special ritual.
Usually the sovereign, having left the carriage in advance,walked to the Holy Gates and there, met by the hegumen and brethren, was blessed with the icon of St. Anthony, which he immediately received as a gift. Then there was a solemn prayer service at the Trinity Cathedral and a dinner in the hegumen’s chambers. Needless to say, such visits contributed to the arrival of a large number of ordinary pilgrims to the monastery, who abundantly replenished his treasury.
Golden age of the monastery
It is believed that the heyday of the monastery cameon the XVII century. About two hundred monks then lived in it, by whose efforts six temple buildings were erected, and the most significant of them was the Church of the Annunciation of the Most Holy Theotokos. The most famous icon painters of that time, such as Fyodor Zubov and Vasily Kondakov, worked on the decoration of the monastery. Many outstanding monuments of Russian culture were collected in the vaults of the monastery.
Features of the Holy Trinity Antoniyevo-Siyskogomonasteries, such as the unique collections of antiquities collected in it, the architectural originality, the piety of the brethren and the beauty of the surrounding northern nature, provided him with a prominent place among the other holy cloisters of Russia.
On the way to ordeals
After the October Revolution of Antonievo-Siyskythe monastery fully shared the fate of the majority of Russian monasteries. In 1923 it was closed, part of the property was sent to state institutions, and the rest was simply ransacked. In the rooms where the monks used to live and church services were performed, a colony was set up for juvenile delinquents. High walls of the monastery - will not escape. In subsequent years, other institutions were located there that had no relation to religion.
Only with the onset of perestroika, which changedgovernment policy regarding religion, the cloister was returned to the church. But the formal transfer of the land and the structures on it did not mean its revival as a spiritual center. The Antoniyev-Siya monastery, whose photo gives an idea of the diversity and specificity of the buildings located on its territory, needed serious restoration, for which considerable investments were required. A major role in solving these problems was played by his viceroy, Archimandrite Trifon (Plotnikov), who was able to find the necessary resources and attract highly qualified specialists to work.
Today Anthony-Siya monastery(Arkhangelsk region) fully revived its former greatness. Once again, it has become a place where thousands of Russians who come to touch the living history of the motherland come together. This is indisputable evidence of the tight schedule of the pilgrimage service of the monastery, posted on its website.
The most common question that arises for thosewants to visit the St. Antiyevo-Siya monastery: "How to get to this monastery, located in the heart of the Russian North?". To do this, you can use bus number 503, departing from Arkhangelsk to Emetsk, or other buses number 511, 505 and 520. The same person, who has personal transport, can reach it by road No. 8 Arkhangelsk - Moscow. At 151 km there will be a turn to the right and a corresponding signpost.
In 2000, His Holiness Patriarch Alexy IIHe blessed the discovery in St. Petersburg on the street of Olga Forsh of the monastery of the Holy Trinity Antoniyev-Siya monastery It was created, and currently nourishes a significant part of the believers living in the area, as well as a number of kindergartens. The same farmsteads are planned to be created in other parts of the country.