Ascension Monastery (Tambov): description, history, abbess
The Ascension Monastery in Tambov is one of thethe main city's Orthodox sights. It is located on the street of Moscow, in the place where it intersects with the street. B. Vasilyeva. It belongs to the Tambov diocese. On its territory there are many buildings. This place is interesting for its history. And today thousands of pilgrims come here, not only from all over Russia, but also from foreign countries.
Foundation of the monastery
The foundation of the Ascension Monastery in Tambovdates back to 1690. At its sources stood the saint Pitirim together with the Bishop of Tambov. They chose for him a place in the north of the city, which turned out to be very successful, since it turned out that the monastery reached our days without cardinal changes.
Bishop Pitirim is an outstanding man of his time, who was engaged in Orthodox and educational work. He made a significant contribution to the development and development of the Tambov diocese.
On the initial stages of the development of the monastery ontoday little is known. The fact is that many documents prepared for its foundation, as well as other valuable things, were lost as a result of the fire that happened here in 1724.
Only after two decades after this event the Ascension Convent began to reborn and develop anew. At the same time erected a monastery wall around it.
The expansion of the territory and the increase in the number of buildings went gradually. In ancient times the abode was in poverty. Originally, 18 wooden cells were built.
The first church within this monastery wasIt was founded only in 1791 according to the project of I. Kruglikov and Nathanael. Later the church was repaired several times and signed, the Church of St. John of Kronstadt and other churches decorating the Ascension Monastery in Tambov were built today.
The history of the monastery
Ascension Monastery, as well as other structures of wood, at that time often burned. The largest fire in the monastery happened in 1724. Two decades was required for the revival.
The history of the Ascension Monastery consists of a series ofevents that did not always have a positive impact on its development. One of the most important milestones is the laying of the first church stone. Work on the construction of the temple was fully carried out on the funds received from citizens and pilgrims as donations.
Already in 1816 the total number of novices and nuns in this monastery reached one and a half hundred.
The second major church in the monastery began to be builtonly at the beginning of the XIX century. Completed work on the erection and painting of it in 1820. Then it was consecrated, after which it was given the name of the Church of the Icon of the Sorrowful Mother of God.
The development of the monastery in the XIX century
In tsarist Russia in the XIX-XX century had a clearthe flowering of monasticism. The Tambov Ascension Monastery also actively developed. Especially in those early years, female monasticism expanded: in the course of a century, the number of women's monasteries increased approximately five-fold. And many of them were newly formed.
In the early 1800s, only one female abode was listed in the Tambov diocese.
Since the second half of the century, young monasteries have been actively built up and developed.
On the territory of the Ascension Monastery inThe time was only the Ascension church, which occupied the southern part, as well as several monastic cells, which by their arrangement formed a quadrangle.
It was during this period that the firstrepair of the Ascension Monastery in Tambov. It was repaired again in 1906. At the same time, the workers expanded and rebuilt it, moving a pair of side chapels.
The renovated Ascension church was completelyupdated to 1907. He was carefully trimmed from the inside - the workers not only inserted new doors and windows into the building, but also paved the floors in the entire temple, as well as the altar, plastered and painted the vaults, and installed iconostases. Both the walls and the roof of the building were decorated with oil paint.
So large-scale construction and reconstructionwere conducted in the Tambov Ascension Monastery under the leadership of the Evgeny Igumen. In the same period, a public prosecutor was built on the territory of the monastery. This room became one of the main sources of income for the monastery, supplying prosphora to other city churches.
In 1868 another monastery was opened in the monastery.unit - shelter for girls. At first it was placed in one of the old wooden buildings, but by the end of the century a separate brick house had been erected for the orphanage.
At the end of the XIX century, the number of buildings of the monasterysignificantly increased. Here, in addition to the buildings listed above, a large sister building, a water intake station, a brick refectory, a laundry and a sauna appeared.
Revival of the monastery in the XX century
According to the results of the XIX century, the monastery blossomed andtransfigured. At the beginning of the 20th century, positive changes awaited him as well. So, in 1904, the girls' shelter moved to a three-storey stone building. At that time it was already called the parish school, later it was called St. Olginskaya. On the training there were more than two hundred girls, half of whom lived on the territory of the monastery.
One of the main achievements of the monastery of those times is the development of this school. In accordance with the documents, at that time the parochial school held a leading position in the diocese.
Blossomed and developed in those years and monasticproduction. Since the beginning of the 20th century, a bee-keep was kept here, silver and gold icons were embroidered, archbishop mitts were made, raw materials were woven, the orchard was grown, and the orchard for cassocks and robes was stained.
Until its closure, the monastery remained the largest Orthodox center on the territory of the Tambov province.
But since 1918 the monastery has passed into the Soviet property, as well as many other religious objects. All the buildings of the monastery were used for urban purposes.
By the indication of the Holy Synod of December 1992, the Ascension Convent was re-opened in Tambov to conduct monastic life on its territory.
In recent years, the monastery again moved to theactive revival and development. Here, the original Church of the Icon of the Sorrowing Mother of God was restored, and the building was built on two floors, which included the baptismal temple, known as the Church of St. John of Kronstadt. Later a hotel appeared to accommodate the pilgrims and a new building for the activities of the Sunday school.
The Ascension Cathedral was consecrated in 2014.
To date, daily worship services are held in the monastery. The number of women is increasing. A few years ago a large library was opened here.
On the territory of the modern Ascension Monastery are several churches:
- Church of Anthony of Caves.
- Church of John of Kronstadt.
- Chapel in honor of the nun Miropia.
- Cathedral of the Ascension of the Lord.
- Church of the Icon of Our Lady of the Afflicted.
- The water-bearing chapel.
The shrines of the monastery
After the reopening of the monastery, several shrines appeared in its temples. Many pilgrims come to the relics of the Monk Marfa of Tambov. They were transferred to the monastery on September 23, 2005.
In addition, there are other ancient icons, relics of holy saints.
As a conclusion
At the present time the nunnery continuesits active development. In addition to the expansion and renovation of buildings located on its territory, attention is paid to small things. Not so long ago the square, which is directly in front of the main temple, was completely asphalted. Also, all the paths passing through the monastery were put in order. The local flower gardens received patterned fences made of cast iron.
Under the leadership of the acting superioressAscension monastery of the nun Tabitha, who has been occupying this post for more than ten years, the monastery is actively flourishing. Recently it was recognized as one of the most beautiful in the Tambov diocese.