Compote of rhubarb: benefit and harm
Rhubarb is an amazing plant, richvitamins and microelements, which has a number of medicinal properties for the human body. Widely used for the manufacture of medicines, well-established for home use. The rhubarb compote is an indispensable drink that perfectly helps to fill the body with the missing vitamins during the long winter.
What can a person eat?
For cooking various dishes, most oftencompote from rhubarb, in the course are the stems of the plant. It is this part of the plant that is suitable for eating. The leaves are used to feed pets, and the root of the plant is used in the production of medicines.
Despite a rich set of useful microelementsand vitamins, rhubarb has a very low calorie content compared to even other vegetable greens (dill, parsley), only 20 kcal per 100 g. Nutritionists recommend adding plant stems to food to full people, the presence of organic acids in the plant contributes to better splitting of subcutaneous fats.
What is the main benefit of rhubarb?
What kind of benefits do stems produce when they are added to food:
- Rhubarb in its pure form or compote of rhubarb stimulate the cleansing of the liver, the withdrawal of bile from the body.
- The plant well stimulates the intestine, improves digestion, helps to cope with constipation.
- After a preliminary consultation with a doctor, rhubarb is often recommended to use in the early stages of hemorrhoid development.
- With catarrhal diseases, rhubarb jam will help improve immunity and weaken cough.
Saturating the body with vitamins and trace elements,rhubarb strengthens immunity and helps health cope with unwanted colds. An excellent solution can be to make jam or compote of rhubarb for the winter.
Why should you be careful?
With all the usefulness of rhubarb should be used with caution. Such a rich composition of the plant in case of abuse can injure the body, it is not for nothing that they say that in everything you need to know the extent.
It is important to be on the alert:
- Due to the high acid content, especially oxalic acid, rhubarb in case of abuse can cause unwanted bleeding and even intoxication of the body.
- It is not recommended for use with a sudden increase in temperature during illness.
- During pregnancy and feeding it is also better to abstain and exclude rhubarb from the diet.
- Diabetes mellitus, peritonitis, diseases of the stomach and intestines are the main contraindications to the use of rhubarb, a plant with such diagnoses becomes dangerous for the body.
Why is it useful to make blanks for the winter?
If contraindications are absent and wantto support the immune system year-round, then the best choice will be the preparation of compote for the winter, when freshly the rhubarb is inaccessible. To make compote of rhubarb recipes mass, while you can dream up and diversify the taste of your favorite berries and fruits.
Rhubarb juice in its pure form has a pronouncedsour taste, so it is customary to combine it with sweeter berries, fruits, add sugar or honey. The choice directly depends on personal taste preferences.
When properly prepared, compote canstored for a long time in a sealed container, preferably in a cool and dark place. To date, rhubarb is not the most popular plant, and for making drinks it is best to use fresh stems, since after long storage the taste may deteriorate.
If you deal with sterilization and sealing compote is problematic, you can use frozen ingredients, when stored in the freezer rhubarb retains all the necessary properties.
Preparing compote of rhubarb for the winter or preparing a drink from frozen ingredients is the best way for a weakened body to gain strength.
Simple recipes for health care
When choosing a rhubarb as a home helperthe first question arises: how to cook compote from rhubarb? If there is no problem with the main ingredient, then it is not easy for a beginner to determine how to competently mix other ingredients so as not to kill the main taste of the drink.
In this case, recipes for preparing compote from rhubarb, tested for years, will become indispensable:
1. Rhubarb and apples. Excellent combination with the preservation of natural acidity.
On a liter of water you need to take 200 grams of rhubarb stems and apples, 40 grams of honey and lemon juice.
- In a saucepan with water add the lemon juice, honey and bring to a boil.
- Stem rhubarb wash and cut into small pieces, then pour into boiling water and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- At this time, cut apples into slices and send to a pan.
- All the ingredients cook together for about 10 minutes and the compote is ready.
2. Rhubarb and orange. The drink will be rich in vitamin C.
On the basis of 2 liters of water you will need 400 grams of rhubarb, one orange, sugar (to taste).
- It is better to prepare all the ingredients in advance, cut the rhubarb stalks, cut the uncooked orange into slices and remove the bones.
- In a pot of water add sugar and wait until it dissolves.
- Prepared ingredients pour into water, bring to a boil and after cooking for about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the compote from the fire, allow it to cool and drain.
After that, the drink is ready for use or harvesting for the winter.
3. Rhubarb and strawberry. The drink will have berry flavor and will preserve a pleasant acidity of the rhubarb.
For two liters of water you need to cook 400 grams of rhubarb, half a glass of strawberries, a few slices of orange and sugar (to taste).
- Prepare all the ingredients: cut the rhubarb stalks, cut the orange and remove the stones, peel the strawberries from the stems.
- A pan of water should be placed on a fire and brought to a boil.
- After all add all the ingredients and after a couple of minutes - sugar.
- Thoroughly mix everything, bring to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes.
The drink is ready.
Any of the above recipes is suitable forharvesting for the winter. In order not to remain without the right vitamins, it is necessary to study the process of sterilizing the container and the correct sealed packaging. With all the rules, compote from rhubarb will have all the useful properties of the plant and help immunity at any time of the year.