Information logistics and its functions
Logistics departments are a necessary linkin the general production process. One of the main directions of their activity is information logistics. This is the industry that unites all stages of production - from the supply of materials to the sale of products. Information logistics collects data that is necessary for material production.
Its main task is to collect and timelydelivery of information to both production units and the company's management team. It should be borne in mind that each level of the production process must be provided only with the necessary data for its work at the right time.
Logistic systems deliver to higher levelsmanagement information necessary for the development of the company's strategy and policies, as well as for decision-making. The middle link should be provided with data for the successful planning and organization of the production process. The bodies that carry out the control must also be provided with the necessary data.
Information logistics performs the following functions:
1. Receiving data in the places where they appear.
2. Information processing and its transformation into a more convenient form.
3. Storing data and storing it as needed.
4. Delivery of information to the right consumer.
5. Not all information is needed in the production process, therefore the information flows in the logistics should be filtered. The consumer gets only the necessary data.
6. Implementation of simple transformations of information.
7. Manage the entire flow of information and channel it in the right direction.
All these operations are organized by automated systems for collecting, processing and transmitting information. Their tasks include:
- Uninterrupted provision of information, which must be delivered at the right time and in the right place;
- providing all consumers of data with reliable information about the movement of products along the supply chain, which will be relevant at a particular time;
- implementation of the possibility to manage all major indicators, analyze them and make adjustments;
- ensuring transparency and accessibility of information for all as necessary;
- provision of up-to-date data for the implementation of strategic planning;
- providing information on costs and their structure;
- identification of problem zones of the production process and provision of information about them;
- ensuring the possibility of redistributing resources in order to use them more efficiently;
- evaluation of the production process and its results;
- assistance in maximizing the company's profits.
In order to do the work of the logistics systemeffective, apply various developments in the field of information technology. This includes the creation and use of computerized networks within the company. They must combine all levels for faster delivery of information. It is also necessary to provide the system with application programs that will allow more rapid collection of information.
Data collection, processing and transmission systems shouldpossess certain properties. First, they must be able to support a decrease or increase in the number of users. Secondly, they should give the opportunity to process information to several users at once. Another important indicator is the ability for each consumer to independently adjust the flow of information. The last quality is the openness and the possibility of cooperation with other systems for the exchange of information.
Information logistics is an important part of the activity of any company.